Thursday, October 21, 2010

The Moment I Knew I Was an American.

What is an American? Someone born in America, and living in America. But is there a more concrete definition of an American? Are there certain rules you have to follow to portray an "American"? 

I do not agree that an American is a descendant from Europe born in America. There are so many more races than just white, which are American.
In America, you can choose what religion you want to believe in, what sexual orientation you choose to have, the language you choose speak (besides English), what job/career you want to do, what you choose to wear, what traditions you want to celebrate, etc. America provides all these different opportunities. So is being American mean being who you are? Without living/visiting in another country, or not knowing much about the world, how can you compare these differences? Say for example, someone from France was a tourist in Chicago; you could not tell if they were French or American from just looking at them. When they start talking, yes, you probably can tell then.

The only time I realize I am American is when I travel outside the country. When my family and I have to ask a pedestrian for directions, they ask (nine times out of ten), are you from America? That's when I know I am American. I see being American when you're different from everyone else who do not necessarily have the choice to make decisions for how they live. 

1 comment:

  1. I agree with what you think.. I don't believe in Europe descendants only being American. Also I have never traveled abroad so I can't reason with that, however I am sure it would be the same for me..

    ReplyDelete