Thursday, January 13, 2011

King Still King?

There’s one day a year where people take off one day of work or school for the birth of Martin Luther King. Kids look forward to it because they get a day off of school, but is King’s hard work relevant to our present day society?
I say yes; King is still king.
Without him, Obama certainly wouldn’t be the president, schools wouldn’t be mixed with different ethnicities, people couldn’t sit where ever they wanted on a bus, and we would still have different water fountains. King proved that huge changes can be made without the use of a gun. However, I think we should view this day with more value, to realize how much has changed since he lived. In the far future, I believe this day will simply just be a day off, not to recognize someone for their hard work, or even to realize that King changed America. Maybe Americans will be so caught up in the new technology to even look at the small print on their calendars that says “Martin Luther King Jr. Day.” But King is still inspirational to many people and should always be. 

1 comment:

  1. I agree we just look at it as another day off becasue thats what I do. I think though America would have ended segregation and Obama probably would have been president. I think it would have come later and maybe not as civily as it did though. America would have called for a changed I believe even without MLK. I am not saying at all that he is not important becasue he was and is.

    ReplyDelete