Thursday, January 6, 2011

Reading Response

Children of the Sea
This short story was one of the best things I've read in class so far, and I wish it could've been longer than it was.  I liked it for a couple reasons, and one was that it was so real. People do not usually read about things that happened in the short story, like having to throw yourself overboard, or a group of soldiers raping a young teenager. People do not talk about the awful things that happen to people, and it was interesting when we did for class. I also liked the short story because it was like letters for the other person so the reader could understand both sides of what’s going on. 

There was a Child went Forth
I’m not saying this poem/story wasn’t good, but I didn’t like reading it. I don’t like many poems, like the poems that you have to focus on extremely hard on, or the poems that are filled with complicated words that you’re just too lazy to look up for every one of them. I know that’s what you’re supposed to do in school, that’s the point of reading the poem, but I don’t enjoy it. It took me forever to focus and actually pay attention to actually read it. But after I read it, it was pretty good. I liked how the poet went in detail about the child’s childhood and what the child grew up with, and how it became a part of the child as it grew up.

If I were to chose between the two stories, I would choose to read Children of the Sea.

1 comment:

  1. I really liked Children of the Sea as well for the same reason. Most of the adults like to emphasize the good points of life but not mention much of the horrible things in life that had to happen in order for the great things we see to happen. Reading your blog reminds me of a discussion in my World history class today, where we talked about Columbus's killing Native Americans to take over the land we live on today and yet we still celebrate his greatness. Most horrible things today are not mentioned because it has benefited society in one way or another.

    ReplyDelete